> I installed opensolaris and setup rpool as my base install on a single 1TB
> drive

If I understand correctly, you have rpool and the data pool configured all as
one
pool?

That's not probably what you'd really want. For one part, the bootable root pool
should all be available to GRUB from a single hardware device and this precludes
any striping or raidz configurations for the root pool (only single drives and
mirrors are supported).

You should rather make a separate root pool (depends on your installation size,
RAM -> swap, number of OS versions to roll back); I'd suffice with anything
from
8 to 20Gb. And the rest of the disk (as another slice) becomes the data pool
which
can later be expanded by adding stripes. Obviously, data already on the disk
won't magically become striped to all drives unless you rewrite it.

> a single 1TB drive

Minor detail: I thought you were moving 1.5TB disks? Or did you find a drive
with
adequately few data (1 TB used)?

> transfering data accross till the drive was empty

I thought NTFS driver for Solaris is read-only?

Not a good transactional approach. Delete original data only after all copying
has
completed (and perhaps cross-checked) and the disk can actually be reused in the
ZFS pool.

For example, if you were to remake the pool (as suggested above for rpool and
below for raidz data pool) - where would you re-get the original data for
copying
over again?

> I havent worked out if I can transform my zpool int a zraid after I have
> copied all my data.

My guess would be - no, you can't (not directly at least). I think you can
mirror the
striped pool's component drives on the fly, by buying new drives one at a time
-
which requires buying these drives. Or if you buy and attach all 8-9 drives at
once,
you can build another pool with raidz layout and migrate all data to it. Your
old
drives can then be attached to this pool as another raidz vdev stripe (or even
mirror, but that's probably not needed for your usecase). These scenarios are
not unlike raid50 or raid51, respectively.

In case of striping, you can build and expand your pool by vdev's of different
layout and size. As said before, currently there's a problem that you can't
shrink
the pool to remove devices (other than break mirrors into single drives).

Perhaps you can get away by buying now only the "parity" drives for your future
pool layout (which depends on the number of motherboard/controller connectors,
and power source capacity, and your computer case size, etc.) and following the
ideas for "best-case" scenario from my post.

Then you'd start the pool by making a raidz1 device of 3-5 drives total (new
empty
ones, possibly including the "missing" fake parity device), and then making and
attaching to the pool more new similar raidz vdev's as you free up NTFS disks.

I did some calculations on this last evening.

For example, if your data fits on 8 "data" drives, you can make 1*8-Ddrive
raidz1
set with 9 drives (8+1), 2*4-Ddrive sets with 10 drives (8+2), 3*3-Ddrive sets
with
12 drives (9+3).

I'd buy 4 new drives and stick with the latter 12-drive pool scenario -
1) build a complete 4-drive raidz1 set (3-Ddrive + 1*Pdrive),
2) move over 3 drives worth of data,
3) build and attach a fake 4-drive raidz1 set (3-Ddrive + 1 missing Pdrive),
4) move over 3 drives worth of data,
5) build and attach a fake 4-drive raidz1 set (3-Ddrive + 1 missing Pdrive),
6) move over 2 drives worth of data,
7) complete the parities for the missing Pdrives of the two faked sets.

This does not in any way involve the capacity of your bootroot drives (which I
think
were expected to be a CF card, no?). So you already have at least one such
drive ;)
Even if your current drive is partially consumed by the root pool, I think you
can
sacrifice some 20Gb on each drive in one 4-disk raidz1 vdev. You can mirror the
root pool with one of these drives, and make a mirrored swap pool on the other
couple.

//Jim