On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, chris wrote:

That would be nice. Before developers worry about such exotic
features, I would rather that they attend to the gross performance
issues so that zfs performs at least as well as Windows NTFS or Linux
XFS in all common cases.

To each their own.

I was referring to gripes about performance in another discussion thread, and not due to RAID-Z3. I don't think that adding another parity disk will make much difference to performance. Adding another parity disk has a similar performance impact as making the stripe one disk wider.

MTTDL analysis shows that given normal evironmental conditions, the MTTDL of RAID-Z2 is already much longer than the life of the computer or the attendant human. Of course sometimes one encounters unusual conditions where additional redundancy is desired.

I do think that it is worthwhile to be able to add another parity disk to an existing raidz vdev but I don't know how much work that entails.

Zfs development seems to be overwelmed with marketing-driven requirements lately and it is time to get back to brass tacks and make sure that the parts already developed are truely enterprise-grade.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn