Hi--

With 40+ drives, you might consider two pools any way. If you want to
use a ZFS root pool, some like this:

- Mirrored ZFS root pool (2 x 500 GB drives)
- Mirrored ZFS non-root pool for everything else

Mirrored pools are flexible and provide good performance. See this site
for more tips:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide

Option 4 below is your best option. Depending on the Solaris release,
ZFS will see the expanded space. If not, see this section:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#Changing_Disk_Capacity_Sizes

Cindy