> That's only one element of it Bob.  ZFS also needs
> devices to fail quickly and in a predictable manner.
>
> A consumer grade hard disk could lock up your entire
> pool as it fails.  The kit Sun supply is more likely
> to fail in a manner ZFS can cope with.

 I agree 100%.
 Hardware, firmware, drivers, should be fully integrated to a mission critical
app. With the wrong firmware, and consumer grade HD, disks failures stalls the
entire pool. I have experience with disks failing and taking 2 or tree seconds
to the system cope with (not just ZFS, but the controller, etc).

 Leal.