Thomas Walker wrote:
We are upgrading to new storage hardware.  We currently have a zfs pool
with the old storage volumes.  I would like to create a new zfs pool,
completely separate, with the new storage volumes.  I do not want to
just replace the old volumes with new volumes in the pool we are
currently using.  I don't see a way to create a mirror of a pool.  Note,
I'm not talking about a mirrored-pool, meaning mirrored drives inside
the pool.  I want to mirror pool1 to pool2.  Snapshots and clones do not
seem to be what I want as they only work inside a given pool.  I have
looked at Sun Network Data Replicator (SNDR) but that doesn't seem to be
what I want either as the physical volumes in the new pool may be a
different size than in the old pool.

Does anyone know how to do this?  My only idea at the moment is to
create the new pool, create new filesystems and then use rsync from the
old filesystems to the new filesystems, but it seems like there should
be a way to mirror or replicate the pool itself rather than doing it at
the filesystem level.

have you looked at what 'zfs send' can do?

Michael
--
Michael Schuster     http://blogs.sun.com/recursion
Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'