Ralf Gans wrote:

Jumpstart puts a loopback mount into the vfstab,
and the next boot fails.

The Solaris will do the mountall before ZFS starts,
so the filesystem service fails and you have not even
an sshd to login over the network.
This is why I don't use the mountpoint settings in ZFS. I set them all to 'legacy', and put them in the /etc/vfstab myself.

I keep many .ISO files on a ZFS filesystem, and I LOFI mount them onto subdirectories of the same ZFS tree, and then (since they are for Jumpstart) loop back mount parts of eacch of the ISO's into /tftpboot

When you've got to manage all this other stuff in /etc/vfstab ayway, it's easier to manage ZFS there too. I don't see it as a hardship, and I don't see the value of doing it in ZFS to be honest (unless every filesystem you have is in ZFS maybe.)

The same with sharing this stuff through NFS. I since the LOFI mounts are separate filesystems, I have to share them with share (or sharemgr) and it's easier to share the ZFS diretories through those commands at the same time.

I must be missing something, but I'm not sure I get the rationale behind duplicating all this admin stuff inside ZFS.

 -Kyle