Some preliminary speed tests, not too bad for a pci32 card.

http://lundman.net/wiki/index.php/Lraid5_iozone

Jorgen Lundman wrote:

Finding a SATA card that would work with Solaris, and be hot-swap, and more than 4 ports, sure took a while. Oh and be reasonably priced ;) Double the price of the dual core Atom did not seem right.

The SATA card was a close fit to the jumper were the power-switch cable attaches, as you can see in one of the photos. This is because the MV8 card is quite long, and has the big plastic SATA sockets. It does fit, but it was the tightest spot.

I also picked the 5-in-3 drive cage that had the "shortest" depth listed, 190mm. For example the Supermicro M35T is 245mm, another 5cm. Not sure that would fit.

Lund

Nathan Fiedler wrote:
Yes, please write more about this. The photos are terrific and I
appreciate the many useful observations you've made. For my home NAS I
chose the Chenbro ES34069 and the biggest problem was finding a
SATA/PCI card that would work with OpenSolaris and fit in the case
(technically impossible without a ribbon cable PCI adapter). After
seeing this, I may reconsider my choice.

For the SATA card, you mentioned that it was a close fit with the case
power switch. Would removing the backplane on the card have helped?

Thanks