Volker A. Brandt wrote:
I'm currently trying to decide between a MB with that chipset and
another that uses the nVidia 780a and nf200 south bridge.

Is the nVidia SATA controller well supported? (in AHCI mode?)

Be careful with nVidia if you want to use Samsung SATA disks.
There is a problem with the disk freezing up.   This bit me with
our X2100M2 and X2200M2 systems.

I don't know if it's related to your issue, but I have also seen comments around about the nv-sata windows drivers hanging up when formatting drives > than 1024GB. But that's been fixed in the latest nvidia windows drivers.

Does that sound related, or like something different?

 -Kyle

Regards -- Volker