Whether ZFS properly detects device removal depends to a large extent on the
device drivers for the controller.  I personally have stuck to using
controllers with chipsets I know Sun use on their own servers, but even then
I've been bitten by similar problems to yours on the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards.

The LSI 1068 based cards seem to be the most stable, but I haven't been
fortunate enough to test them myself yet.

I've been saying for ages that ZFS needs its own timeouts to detect when a
drive has gone in a redundant pool, but Sun don't seem to agree that it's
needed.  They seem happy to have ZFS working on their own kit, and hanging for
others.