Andreas,

More comments below.

Cindy

On 08/06/09 14:18, Andreas Höschler wrote:
Hi Cindy,

Good job for using a mirrored configuration. :-)

Thanks!

Your various approaches would work.

My only comment about #2 is that it might take some time for the spare
to kick in for the faulted disk.

Both 1 and 2 would take a bit more time than just replacing the faulted
disk with a spare disk, like this:

# zpool replace tank c1t6d0 c1t15d0

You mean I can execute

    zpool replace tank c1t6d0 c1t15d0

without having made c1t15d0 a spare disk first with

Yes, that is correct.

    zpool add tank spare c1t15d0

? After doing that c1t6d0 is offline and ready to be physically replaced?

Yes, that is correct.

Then you could physically replace c1t6d0 and add it back to the pool as
a spare, like this:

# zpool add tank spare c1t6d0

For a production system, the steps above might be the most efficient.
Get the faulted disk replaced with a known good disk so the pool is
no longer degraded, then physically replace the bad disk when you have
the time and add it back to the pool as a spare.

It is also good practice to run a zpool scrub to ensure the
replacement is operational

That would be

    zpool scrub tank

in my case!?

Yes.

and use zpool clear to clear the previous
errors on the pool.

I assume teh complete comamnd fo rmy case is

    zpool clear tank

Why d we have to do that. Couldb't zfs realize that everything is fine again after executing "zpool replace tank c1t6d0 c1t15d0"?

Yes, sometimes the clear is not necessary but it will also clear the error counts if need be.

If the system is used heavily, then you might want to run the zpool scrub when system use is reduced.

That would be now! :-)

If you were going to physically replace c1t6d0 while it was still
attached to the pool, then you might offline it first.

Ok, this sounds like approach 3)

      zpool offline tank c1t6d0
    <physically replace c1t6d0 with a new one>
    zpool online tank c1t6d0

Would that be it?

Those steps would be like this:

zpool offline tank c1t6d0
<physically replace c1t6d0 with a new one>
zpool replace tank c1t6d0
zpool online tank c1t6d0

On some hardware, you must unconfigure the disk before replacing it,
such as after taking it offline.

I'm not sure if the x4240 is in that category. If you do the replacement
with another known good disk (c1t15d0) then you do not have to
unconfigure the failed disk first. See Example 11-1 for more information:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gbbvf?a=view

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

   Andreas