Hi Kyle,

Except that in the case of spares, you can't replace them.

You'll see a message like the one below.

Cindy

# zpool create pool mirror c1t0d0 c1t1d0 spare c1t5d0
# zpool status
  pool: pool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        pool        ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          c1t5d0    AVAIL

# zpool replace pool c1t5d0 c2t5d0
cannot replace c1t5d0 with c2t5d0: device is reserved as a hot spare