On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Ed Spencer wrote:

What is the point of a filesystem the can grow to such a huge size and
not have functionality built in to optimize data layout?  Real world
implementations of filesystems that are intended to live for
years/decades need this functionality, don't they?

Enterprise storage should work fine without needing to run a tool to optimize data layout or repair the filesystem. Well designed software uses an approach which does not unravel through use.

Our mail system works well, only the backup doesn't perform well.
All the features of ZFS that make reads perform well (prefetch, ARC)
have little effect.

It is already known that ZFS prefetch is often not aggressive enough for bulk reads, and sometimes gets lost entirely. I think that is the first issue to resolve in order to get your backups going faster.

Many of us here already tested our own systems and found that under some conditions ZFS was offering up only 30MB/second for bulk data reads regardless of how exotic our storage pool and hardware was.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn