I think the point, Chester, which everyone seems to be dancing around
or missing, is that your planning may need to go back to the drawing board
on this one.  Absorb the resources out there for how to best configure
your pools and vdevs, *then* implement.  That's the most efficient way to go

about doing what you want to do.  You can't add a single disk to an existing

vdev, as near as I can tell.

There are other discussions on this list about expanding or transforming
vdevs
of a certain type to another type, but this functionality appears to be low
on
the ZFS development teams list of priorities (probably with good reason) and

somewhat high on complexity.

Now, I'll include my list of things you might want to go back and read (and
possibly re-read) to do planning for your migration from the current RAIDZ
a new implementation of ZFS that gives you your desired outcome.  Please
excuse me if you have spent time with these, but I figure it's worth saying
just in case:

ZFS Admin Guide:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461?l=en
ZFS @ Solaris Internals:
http://www.solarisinternals.com//wiki/index.php?title=Category:ZFS

Of course, the ZFS community on OpenSolaris.org:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/

No need to mention zfs-discuss.

Anyway, the answer is that what you say you want to do, you cannot do.
There is probably another way to accomplish your ultimate goal, but you
want to get clear about that goal in DETAIL then see how, or if, you can
use ZFS to achieve that goal.  Since ZFS hails from a world of people who
are fairly accustomed to thinking in detailed, enterprise terms, you'll
either
want to start looking at things in this way or seek out solutions which fit
how you want to use your software and hardware.

HTH.

Cheers!

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 00:17, Chester <no-re...@opensolaris.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Previously, I had three 1TB drives in my desktop using the Intel's
> southbridge RAID for storage.  The only problem with that is every time
> Windows Vista took a dump, I would be in jeopardy of corrupting the storage
> space; thus, I decided to have a dedicated machine just for serving up
> files.
>
> I now have a 3ware 9650SE 16 port host controller and currently four 2TB
> Western Digital WD2002FYPS drives (I also have a leftover drive from an old
> machine that's currently the boot drive), Supermicro server MB and a Celeron
> 440 2GHz chip (primarly because it's 35watts and I wanted to minimize power
> usage when the machine sat idle).
>
> I was weary about using a Microsoft OS as I wanted it to be reliable and
> also didn't want to have to pay for another license, etc.  I tried FreeNAS
> and it was ok, but somewhat limited in what you can do with it.  I have a
> squeezebox and would want to install their SqueezeCenter server to server up
> lossless compressed audio files.  I was also intrigued by ZFS after reading
> so much about it.
>
> I did try around with creating a raidz1 zpool, but then learned that the
> current implementation is somewhat limited in that you can't expand the
> raidset.  Using a raidz storage pool would also not take advantage of the
> 3ware's dedicated hardware for computing parity, etc.  Anyway, I
> successfully created a RAID5 set using three drives and created a zpool.  I
> then migrated the RAID5 set to add an additional 2TB drive (took 3 days!).
>  The server is currently down because I needed to use the RAM elsewhere, but
> after expanding the storage area, the filesystem still stayed the original
> size using the three 2TB drives.  I tried finding a way to get the full
> space allocation, but it seems that many use simple SATA ports and the raidz
> solution.  I'm also a n00b, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  If
> you think I'm going down the wrong path, I would like to hear it.
>
> TIA,
> Chester
> --

"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

AlphaGuy - http://alphaguy.blogspot.com
On Twitter - @khyron4eva