Ashley Avileli wrote:
I have setup a pool called vmstorage and mounted it as nfs storage in esx4i. The pool in freenas contains 4 sata2 disks in raidz. I have 6 vms; 5 linux and 1 windows and performance is terrible.

Any suggestion on improving the performance of the current setup.

I have added the following vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1 which improved the performance slightly.

When I was still using ESX 3.5U2, it cannot use my onboard nVidia MCP SATA Controller, thus I need to use external server. That time I used Solaris nv built 101~103 (cannot remember exactly). I also had option to go NFS or iSCSI. When I tested between both, the iSCSI was faster than NFS. Thus I suggest you try also the iSCSI instead of NFS since FreeNAS can do iSCSI Target also.

Just my 2 cents,

Dedhi