On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Peter Schow wrote:

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 05:02:46PM -0600, Louis-Fr?d?ric Feuillette wrote:
I saw this question on another mailing list, and I too would like to
know. And I have a couple questions of my own.

== Paraphrased from other list ==
Does anyone have any recommendations for books on File Systems and/or
File Systems Programming?
== end ==

Going back ten years, but still a good tutorial:

  "Practical File System Design with the Be File System"
  by Dominic Giampaolo

  http://www.nobius.org/~dbg/practical-file-system-design.pdf

I think he's still at apple now working on spotlight .. his fs-kit is good study too:
http://www.nobius.org/~dbg/fs-kit-0.4.tgz

for understanding the vnode/vfs interface - you might want to take a look at:
- Solaris Internals (2nd edition) - chapter 14
- Zadok's FiST paper:
http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/docs/zadok-thesis-proposal/

UFS:
- Solaris Internals (2nd edition) - chapter 15
HFS+:
- Amit Singh's Mac OS X Internals chapter 11 (see http://osxbook.com/)

then opensolaris src of course for:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/