Does un-taring something count? It is what I used for our tests.

I tested with ZIL disable, zil cache on /tmp/zil, CF-card (300x) and cheap SSD. Waiting for X-25E SSDs to arrive for testing those:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2009-July/030183.html

If you want a quick answer, disable ZIL (you need to unmount/mount, export/import or reboot) on your ZFS volume and try it. That is the theoretical maximum. You can get close to this using various technologies, SSD and all that.

I am no expert on this, I knew nothing about it 2 weeks ago.

But for our provisioning engine to untar Movable-Types for customers, 5 mins to 45secs is quite an improvement. I can get that to 11seconds theoretically. (ZIL disable)

Lund

Monish Shah wrote:
Hello Greg,

I'm curious how much performance benefit you gain from the ZIL accelerator. Have you measured that? If not, do you have a gut feel about how much it helped? Also, for what kind of applications does it help?

(I know it helps with synchronous writes. I'm looking for real world answers like: "Our XYZ application was running like a dog and we added an SSD for ZIL and the response time improved by X%.")

Of course, I would welcome a reply from anyone who has experience with this, not just Greg.

Monish

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Mason" <gma...@msu.edu>