Thanks for the reply!

The reason I'm not waiting until I have the disks is mostly because it will
take me several months to get the funds together and in the meantime, I need
the extra space 1 or 2 drives gets me.  Since the sparse files will only take
up the space in use, if I've migrated 2 of the sparse files to actual disk, I
should have enough storage for about 2 TB of data without risking running out
of space on the sparse file drive.  I know it'll be quirky and I'd need to
monitor the sparse file drive closely to insure it doesn't run out of room (or
risk unexpected results, possibly complete data loss depending on how ZFS deals
with that kind of problem).