Scott Laird <sc...@sigkill.org> writes:

> Checksum all of the files using something like md5sum and see if
> they're actually identical.  Then test each step of the copy and see
> which one is corrupting your files.
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Harry Putnam<rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:

[...]

I didn't do that since I've found that opening the file from vista
with a file browser started as `administator' worked.. so apparently
the files are indenticle enough to play in quicktime player started as
"administrator" .

Enrico Maria Crisostomo <enrico.m.crisost...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

Thanks for the input... I've found now that the directory on zfs
server that I was scping the files to had not gotten included in a
previous chmod cmd run on the zfs server.

   chmod -R A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow

That particular directory where the transferred files were landing,
was created after having run the chmod cmd above on the server.

> Here something's missing to me and documentation hasn't helped me
> (yet)... There's no "read" here. Just set it (on the Vista side it's
> just one click) and Quicktime will work. I've got a script which
> resets my files' permissions something like:
>
> find /yourdir -type f -exec chmod A- "{}" +
> find /yourdir -type f -exec chmod 644 "{}" +

The chmod command I mentioned above appears many times on the
cifs-server list, as a way to avoid permissions problems and as it
turns out it works in my case too. ... although it appears to only be
of use when called after the files are transferred.

The commands you show also appear to make things work... however, at
first I thought the executable bits that are set when the files are
created on windows... doesn't really seem to prevent running it from a
remote vista laptop.  It appears here that the permission bits as they
occur work, and so does chmoding to 644.

[...]

Chris Wrote:

> It might be worth checking if they've got funny Unicode chars in the
> names. What normalization's happening on both servers, what version of
> NFS is being used? How big are the files?

Apparently not the problem in my case... thanks for the input.

Thomas Burgess <wonsl...@gmail.com> writes:

> i had something similar happen to me when i switched to ZFS but it turned
> out to be an error with cpio and the mkv format...i'm not sure exactly why
> but whenever i tried to backup mkv files with cpio onto ZFS it would give me
> corrupted files.

This was also apparently not the problem in my case... thanks for the input.