The remaining drive would only have been flagged as dodgy if the bad
sectors had been found, hence my comments (and general best practice)
about data scrub's being necessary. While I agree it's possibly likely
that the enterprise drive would flag errors earlier, I wouldn't
necessarily bet on it. Just because a given sector has successfully been
read a number of times before doesn't guarantee that it will be read
successfully again, and again the enterprise drive doesn't try as hard.
In the absence of scrubs, resilvering can be the hardest thing the drive
does, and by my experience is likely to show up errors that haven't
occurred before. But you make a good point about retrying the resilver
until it works, presuming I don't hit a "too many errors, device
faulted" condition. :-)

I would have liked to go RaidZ2, but performance has dictated mirroring.
Physical, Financial and Capacity constraints have conspired together to
restrict me to 2 way mirroring rather than 3 way, which would have been
my next choice. :-)

Regards

            Tristan

(Who is now going to spend the afternoon figuring out how to win lottery
by osmosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis :-) )