On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.ell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:05 AM, Markus Kovero wrote:
>
>> Hi, I was just wondering following idea, I guess somebody mentioned
>> something similar and I’d like some thoughts on this.
>>
>> 1.       create iscsi volume on Node-A and mount it locally with iscsiadm
>> 2.       create pool with this local iscsi-share
>> 3.       create iscsi volume on Node-B and share it to Node-A
>> 4.       create mirror from both disks on Node-A; zpool attach foopool
>> localiscsivolume remotevolume
>>
>> Why not? After quick test it seems to fail and resilver like it should
>> when nodes fail. Actual failover needs to be done manually though, but am I
>> missing something relevant here?
>
> This is more complicated than the more commonly used, simpler method:
>        1. create iscsi volume on Node-B, share to Node-A
>        2. zpool create mypool mirror local-vdev iscsi-vdev

Simpler, yes, but Markus' method has the advantage that all devices in
the pool will be numbered under the iSCSI controller.

Question though, what happens in an active-active setup with pools on
each side? Pin the iSCSI device names in path_to_inst to prevent
overlap? In that case it may be easier to use local devs on each side
(easier to pin), which also has the benefit of not putting all the
eggs in the iSCSI initiator basket.

-Ross