[Originally posted to indiana-discuss]

On certain X86 machines there's a hardware/software glitch
that causes odd transient checksum failures that always seem
to affect the same files even if you replace them. This has
been submitted as a bug:

Bug 11201 -  Checksum failures on mirrored drives - now
CR 6880994 P4 kernel/zfs Checksum failures on mirrored drives

We have SPARC based ZFS servers where we keep a copy of this
rpool so we can more easily replace the damaged files (usually
system libraries). In addition, to check the validity of the
zfs send stream of the ZFS server rpool, there's a copy of that
as well. For good reasons there might be several rpools in
this data pool at any given time.

When the ZFS server is rebooted, it tries to update the boot
archive of every rpool it can find, including the X86 archive,
which fails because it's the wrong architecture.

The ZFS server is currently at snv103, but the backup server has
an additional disk with snv111b on it, which was recently updated
to snv122. However, if you boot snv103 and then reboot, it will
also update the snv122 boot archive, rendering snv122 unbootable.
All versions up to and including snv122 exhibit this behavior.

I'm not sure why updating the boot archive would do this, but surely
this is a bug. Reboot should only update it's own archive, and not
any ZFS archives at all if it is running from UFS. Before submitting
a bug report, I thought I'd check here to see if a) if this is has
already been reported, and b) if I have the terminology right.

Thanks -- Frank