Erik Trimble wrote:
 > I haven't see this specific problem, but it occurs to me thus:

For the reverse of the original problem, where (say) I back up a 'zfs send' stream to tape, then later on, after upgrading my system, I want to get that stream back.

Does 'zfs receive' support reading a version X stream and dumping it into a version X+N zfs filesystem?

If not, frankly, that's a higher priority than the reverse.

Your question confuses me greatly - am I missing something? "zfs recv" of a full stream will create a new filesystem of the appropriate version, which you may then "zfs upgrade" if you wish. And restoring incrementals to a different fs rev doesn't make sense. As long as support for older fs versions isn't removed from the kernel, this shouldn't ever be a problem.

--
Carson