7:37pm, Darren J Moffat wrote:

Paul Archer wrote:
r...@ubuntu:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xce13f90b

/dev/sda1               1      182401  1465136001   83  Linux

That is good enough. That is your problem right there. Solaris doesn't recognise this partition type. FreeBSD I think does.

I'm not sure what you can do to get Solaris to recognise this. If there is a non destructive way under Linux to change this to an EFI partition that would be a good way to start.

I doubt that simply changing the tag from Linux (32) to Solaris2 (191) would be enough since you would lack the vtoc in there. Plus ideally you want this as EFI unless you need to put OpenSolaris into that pool to boot from it - but sounds like you don't.

I did a little research and found that parted on Linux handles EFI labelling. I used it to change the partition scheme on sda, creating an sda1. I then offlined sda and replaced it with sda1. I wish I had just tried a scrub instead of the replace, though, as I've gotta wait about 35 hours for the resilver to finish. (1.5TB data on five disks with a single PCI controller card.)

Paul