All,

this morning, I did "pkg image-update" from 118 to 123 (internal repo), and upon reboot all I got was the grub prompt - no menu, nothing.

I found a 2009.06 CD, and when I boot that and run "zpool import", I
get told

        localtank   UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          c8t1d0    ONLINE

some research showed that disklabel changes sometimes cause this, so I ran format:

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c8t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 48639 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci108e,5...@7/d...@0,0
       1. c8t1d0 <ATA-HITACHI HDS7240S-A33A-372.61GB>
          /p...@0,0/pci108e,5...@7/d...@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 1
selecting c8t1d0
[disk formatted]
Note: capacity in disk label is smaller than the real disk capacity.
Select <partition> <expand> to adjust the label capacity.

[..]
partition> print
Current partition table (original):
Total disk sectors available: 781401310 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
  0        usr    wm               256      372.60GB          781401310
  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  8   reserved    wm         781401311        8.00MB          781417694

Format already tells me that the label doesn't align with the disk size ... should I just do "expand", or should I change the first sectore of partition 0 to be 0?
 I'd appreciate advice on the above, and on how to avoid this in the future.
--
Michael Schuster     http://blogs.sun.com/recursion
Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'