On 09/20/09 03:20 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 22:03 -0400, Jeremy Kister wrote:
I added a disk to the rpool of my zfs root:
# zpool attach rpool c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0
# installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0

I waited for the resilver to complete, then i shut the system down.

then i physically removed c1t0d0 and put c1t1d0 in it's place.

I tried to boot the system, but it panics:

Afaik you can't remove the first disk. You've created a mirror of two
disks from either which you may boot the system. BUT the second disk
must remain where it is. You can set the bios to boot from it if the
first disk fails, but you may not *swap* them.

That's my experience also. If you are trying to make a bootable
disk to keep on the shelf, there's an excellent example here:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5345546

IMO this should go on the wiki. I think it's a great example of
the power of ZFS. I can't imagine doing anything like this with
so easily with any legacy file system...

Cheers -- Frank