OK, Thanks for that.

From reading the RFE, it sound's like having a faster machine on the receive side will be enough to alleviate the problem in the short term?

The hardware I'm using at the moment is quite old, and not particularly fast - although this is the first out & out performance limitation I've had with using it as a opensolaris storage system.

Regards,
   Tristan.

Matthew Ahrens wrote:
Tristan Ball wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of systems running opensolaris b118, one of which sends hourly snapshots to the other. This has been working well, however as of today, the receiving zfs process has started running extremely slowly, and is running at 100% CPU on one core, completely in kernel mode. A little bit of exploration with lockstat and dtrace seems to imply that the issue is around the "dbuf_free_range" function - or at least, that's what it looks like to my inexperienced eye!

This is probably RFE 6812603 "zfs send can aggregate free records", which is currently being worked on.

--matt