On 24 Sep 2009, at 03:09, Mark J Musante wrote:

On 23 Sep, 2009, at 21.54, Ray Clark wrote:

My understanding is that if I "zfs set checksum=<different>" to change the algorithm that this will change the checksum algorithm for all FUTURE data blocks written, but does not in any way change the checksum for previously written data blocks.

I need to corroborate this understanding. Could someone please point me to a document that states this? I have searched and searched and cannot find this.

I haven't googled for a specific doc, but I can at least tell you that your understanding is correct. If you change the checksum algorithm, that checksum is applied only to future writes. Other properties work similarly, such as compression or copies. I see that the zfs manpage (viewable here: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5166/zfs-1m?a=view ) only indicates that this is true for the copies property. I guess we'll have to update that doc.

It mentions something similar for the recordsize property too:

---
         Changing the file system's recordsize affects only files
         created afterward; existing files are unaffected.
---

Cheers,

Chris