2009/9/24 Robert Milkowski <mi...@task.gda.pl>

> Mike Gerdts wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM, bertram fukuda <bertram.fuk...@hp.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for the info Mike.
>>>
>>> Just so I'm clear.  You suggest 1)create a single zpool from my LUN 2)
>>> create a single ZFS filesystem 3) create 2 zone in the ZFS filesystem. Sound
>>> right?
>>>

>> Correct
>>

> Well I would actually recommend to create a dedicate zfs file system for
> each zone (which zoneadm should do for you anyway). The reason is that it is
> much easier then to get information on how much storage each zone is using,
> you can set a quote or reservation for storage for each zone independently,
> you can easily clone each zone, snapshot it, etc.

Another thing. If you will use live upgrade (and as I understand then "pkg
image-update" does that seamlessly) then besides putting each zone on its
own filesystem you also should add another two datasets to be delegated to
zones where they can store their data. This would ensure that during LU you
don't boot up with a bit old data in zones. For example, this could be very
important on mail servers so you don't "forget" some new mails in spool
directories which arrived after creation of new environment, but before
reboot.