On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:20 PM, Michael Shadle wrote:

I agree - SOHO usage of ZFS is still a scary "will this work?" deal. I
found a working setup and I cloned it. It gives me 16x SATA + 2x SATA
for mirrored boot, 4GB ECC RAM and a quad core processor - total cost
without disks was ~ $1k I believe. Not too shabby. Emphasis was also
for acoustics - rack dense would be great but my current living
situation doesn't warrant that

This sounds interesting. Do you have any info on it (case you started with, etc...).

I'm concerned about noise too as this will be in a closet close to the room where our television is. Currently there is a MacPro in there which isn't terribly quiet, but the SuperMicro case is reported to be fairly quiet.

Thanks,
Ware