On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Jeff Haferman <j...@haferman.com> wrote:

> A user has 5 directories, each has tens of thousands of files, the
> largest directory has over a million files.  The files themselves are
> not very large, here is an "ls -lh" on the directories:
> [these are all ZFS-based]
>
> [r...@cluster]# ls -lh
> total 341M
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 someone cluster  13K Sep 14 19:09 0/
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 someone cluster  50K Sep 14 19:09 1/
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 someone cluster 197K Sep 14 19:09 2/
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 someone cluster 785K Sep 14 19:09 3/
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 someone cluster 3.1M Sep 14 19:09 4/
>
> When I go into directory "0", it takes about a minute for an "ls -1 |
> grep wc" to return (it has about 12,000 files).  Directory "1" takes
> between 5-10 minutes for the same command to return (it has about 50,000
> files).
>
> I did an rsync of this directory structure to another filesystem
> [lustre-based, FWIW] and it took about 24 hours to complete.  We have
> done rsyncs on other directories that are much larger in terms of
> file-sizes, but have thousands of files rather than tens, hundreds, and
> millions of files.
>
> Is there someway to speed up "simple" things like determining the
> contents of these directories?  And why does an rsync take so much
> longer on these directories when directories that contain hundreds of
> gigabytes transfer much faster?
>
> Jeff

Be happy you don't have Windows + NTFS with hundreds of thousands, or
millions of files.
Explorer will crash, run your system out of memory and slow it down,
or plain out hard lock windows for hours on end.
This is on brand new hardware, 64bit, 32GB RAM, and 15k SAS disks.

Regardless of filesystem, I'd suggest splitting your directory
structure into a hierarchy. It makes sense even just for cleanliness.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net