I've got a mail machine here that I built using ZFS boot/root.  It's been
having some major I/O performance problems, which I posted once before... but
that post seems to have disappeared.

Now I've managed to obtain another identical machine, and I've built it in the
same way as the original.  Running Solaris 10 U6, I've got it fully patched as
of 2009/10/06.  It's using a mirrored disk via the PERC (LSI Megaraid)
controller.

The main problem seems to be ZFS.  If I do the following on a UFS filesystem:

 # /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero of=whee.bin bs=1024000 count=<x>

... then I get "real" times of the following:

 x     time
128  35. 4
256  1:01.8
512  2:19.8

It's all very linear and fairly decent.  However, if I then destroy that
filesystem and recreate it using ZFS (no special options or kernel variables
set) performance degrades substantially.  With the same dd, I get:

x      time
128  3:45.3
256  6:52.7
512  15:40.4

So basically a 6.5x loss across the board.  I realize that a simple 'dd' is an
extremely weak test, but real-world use on these machines shows similar
problems... long delays logging in, and running a command that isn't cached can
take 20-30 seconds (even something as simple as 'psrinfo -vp').

Ironically, the machine works just fine for simple email, because the files are
small and very transient and thus can exist quite easily just in memory.  But
more complex things, like a local copy of our mailmaps, cripples the machine.

I'm about to rebuild the machine with the RAID controller in passthrough mode,
and I'll see what that accomplishes.  Most of the machines here are Linux and
use the hardware RAID1, so I was/am hesitant to "break standard" that way.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for trying to make ZFS boot+root
work fine on this machine?