On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Ren Pillay wrote:

I'm wondering how to interpret what ZFS is telling me in regard to the errors being reported. 1 of my disks (in a 5 disc raidZ array) reports about 4-5 write/read errors every few days. All 5 are directly connected to the motheboard SATA ports, no raid controller card in between.

How bad is it? Should I think about replacing the drive? (I imagine it will be difficult to get it RMAed when most OS's won't even realise its screwing up)

Recurring problems usually indicate failing hardware and since you are only using raidz1 you should be concerned (but not alarmed) about it. It is wise to obtain a replacement drive.

You didn't mention if you periodically do a zfs scrub of your pool, but if you haven't been, you may find that many more issues are turned up by 'zfs scrub'. The failing drive may be riddled with errors. It is wise to do a full 'zfs scrub' before voluntarily replacing the suspect drive in case there is some undetected data error on one of the other drives which can still be corrected.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn