I used live upgrade to update a U6+lots'o'patches system to vanilla U8. I
ran across CR 6884728, which results in extraneous lines in vfstab
preventing successful boot. I logged in with maintainence mode and deleted
those lines, and the U8 BE came up ok. I wasn't sure if there were any
other problems from that, so I tried to activate and boot back into my
previous U6 BE. That now fails with this error:

  *  This device is not bootable!                   *
  *  It is either offlined or detached or faulted.  *
  *  Please try to boot from a different device.    *

NOTICE:
spa_import_rootpool: error 22

Cannot mount root on /p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@0,0:a
fstype zfs

panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffffbc283a0: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root

I can still boot fine into the new U8 BE, but so far have found no way to
recover and boot into my previously existing U6 BE.

I booted both BE's in verbose mode, the working one:

SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_141445-09 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
[...]
sd44 at marvell88sx3: target 7 lun 0
sd44 is /p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@7,0
/p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@7,0 (sd44) online
root on ospool/ROOT/s10u8 fstype zfs

and the failing one:

SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_141415-10 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
[...]
sd44 at marvell88sx3: target 7 lun 0
sd44 is /p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@7,0
/p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@7,0 (sd44) online

NOTICE:
spa_import_rootpool: error 22

Cannot mount root on /p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@0,0:a
fstype zfs

/p...@1,0/pci1022,7...@4/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@0,0:a is c3t0d0, which is part
of my root pool:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        ospool        ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t4d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

Any idea what's going on? Why is the U6 BE trying to mount a disk partition
instead of the appropriate zfs filesystem? Here's the grub config if that
helps:

#----- patch-20090907 - ADDED BY LIVE UPGRADE - DO NOT EDIT  -----

title patch-20090907
findroot (BE_patch-20090907,0,a)
bootfs ospool/ROOT/patch-20090907
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/multiboot -B $ZFS-BOOTFS
module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

title patch-20090907 failsafe
findroot (BE_patch-20090907,0,a)
bootfs ospool/ROOT/patch-20090907
kernel /boot/multiboot -s
module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe

#----- patch-20090907 -------------- END LIVE UPGRADE ------------
#----- s10u8 - ADDED BY LIVE UPGRADE - DO NOT EDIT  -----

title s10u8
findroot (BE_s10u8,0,a)
bootfs ospool/ROOT/s10u8
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/multiboot -B $ZFS-BOOTFS
module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

title s10u8 failsafe
findroot (BE_s10u8,0,a)
bootfs ospool/ROOT/s10u8