On Oct 22, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Jason Frank wrote:

Thank you for your follow-up.  The doc looks great.  Having good
examples goes a long way to helping others that have my problem.

Ideally, the replacement would all happen magically, and I would have
had everything marked as good, with one failed disk (like a certain
other storage vendor that has it's beefs with Sun does).  But, I can
live with detaching them if I have to.

The zpool autoreplace property manages the policy for automatic
replacement in ZFS. I presume it will work for most cases, but am
less sure when a RAID controller hides the disk from the OS behind
a volume.  Does anyone have direct experience with this?

Another thing that would be nice would be to receive notification of
disk failures from the OS via email or SMS (like the vendor I
previously alluded to), but I know I'm talking crazy now.

Configure an SNMP monitor to do as you wish. FMA generates SNMP
traps when something like that occurs. Solaris ships with net-snmp, see
snmpd(1m) for more info.
 -- richard