On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:58:05PM +0200, Mertol Ozyoney wrote:
> In all 2500 and 6000 series you can assign raid set's to a controller and
> that controller becomes the owner of the set.

When I configured all 32-drives on a 6140 array and the expansion
chassis, CAM automatically split the drives amongst controllers evenly.

> The advantage of 2540 against it's bigger brothers (6140 which is EOL'ed)
> and competitors 2540 do use dedicated data paths for cache mirroring just
> like higher end unit disks (6180,6580, 6780) improving write performance
> significantly.
>
> Spliting load between controllers can most of the time increase performance,
> but you do not need to split in two equal partitions.
>
> Also do not forget that first tray have dedicated data lines to the
> controller so generaly it's wise not to mix those drives with other drives
> on other trays.

But, if you have an expansion chassis, and create a zpool with drives on
the first tray and subsequent trays, what's the difference? You cannot
tell zfs which vdev to assign writes to so it seems pointless to balance
your pool based on the chassis when reads/writes are potentially spread
across all vdevs.

albert chin (ch...@thewrittenword.com)