zfs...@jeremykister.com said:
> unfortunately, fdisk won't help me at all:
> # fdisk -E /dev/rdsk/c12t1d0p0
> # zpool create -f testp c12t1d0
> invalid vdev specification
> the following errors must be manually repaired:
> /dev/dsk/c3t11d0s0 is part of active ZFS pool dbzpool. Please see zpool(1M).

Hmm.  Did you do the "devfsadm -Cv" as someone else suggested?  I think
I would do that both before and after the "fdisk -E".  Then give the "dd"
treatment again, with the EFI-style partion label in place.

I've sometimes had to do the "dd" treatment with both VTOC and EFI labels on
the same drive in order to make ZFS forget it had ever been used in a pool.

Regards,

Marion