If you want any kind of data guarantee, you need to go for a mirrored pool. If you don't want a data guarantee, you can create a single pool (non-mirrored) of the two devs which will give you 500Gb. The key is in the 'zpool create' command

zpool create twofifty mirror disk1 disk2
zpool create fivehundred disk1 disk2

Alex