On 11/23/09 10:10 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Is there enough information available from system configuration utilities
to make an automatic HCL (or unofficial HCL competitor) feasible?  Someone
could write an application people could run which would report their
opinion on how well it works, plus the self-reported identity of all key
components?  (It could report uptime, too, as one very small objective
rating of stability.)

IIRC, the HCL doesn't really talk about applications. We have some really
flaky PCs that run Open Solaris beautifully and their uptime is measured
in months (basically only new releases or long power cuts make them
come down). Would I recommend them for a ZFS based server? Not a
chance! But they make super reliable X-Terminals...

As Richard Elling has pointed out so eloquently, a reliable storage
system has to be engineered to minimize or eliminate SPoFS, and I
doubt you'll ever find that on an HCL, which really serves a different
purpose, IMO.

Cheers -- Frank