Hi all,

I have a home server based on SNV_127 with 8 disks;

2 x 500GB mirrored root pool
6 x 1TB raidz2 data pool

This server performs a few functions;

NFS : for several 'lab' ESX virtual machines
NFS : mythtv storage (videos, music, recordings etc)
Samba : for home directories for all networked PCs

I backup the important data to external USB hdd each day.

I previously had a linux NFS server that I had mounted 'ASYNC' and, as one
would expect, NFS performance was pretty good getting close to 900gb/s. Now
that I have moved to opensolaris,  NFS performance is not very good, I'm
guessing mainly due to the 'SYNC' nature of NFS.  I've seen various threads and
most point at 2 options;

1. Disable the ZIL
2. Add independent log device/s

I happen to have 2 x 250GB Western Digital RE3 7200rpm (Raid edition, rated for
24x7 usage etc) hard drives sitting doing nothing and was wondering whether it
might speed up NFS, and possibly general filesystem usage, by adding these
devices as log devices to the data pool.  I understand that an SSD is
considered ideal for log devices but I'm thinking that these 2 drives should at
least be better than having the ZIL 'inside' the zpool.

If adding these devices, should I add them as mirrored or individual to get
some sort of load balancing (according to zpool manpage) and perhaps a little
bit more performance ?

I'm running ZFS version 19 which 'zpool upgrade -v' shows me as having 'log
device removal' support. Can I easily remove these devices if I find that they
have resulted in little/no performance improvements ?

Any help/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers.