>if any of f2..f5 have different block sizes from f1
This restriction does not sound so bad to me if this only refers to changes to
the blocksize of a particular ZFS filesystem or copying between different ZFSes
in the same pool. This can properly be managed with a "-f" switch on the
userlan app to force the copy when it would fail.

>any of f1..f5's last blocks are partial
Does this mean that f1,f2,f3,f4 needs to be exact multiplum of the ZFS
blocksize? This is a severe restriction that will fail unless in very special
cases.
Is this related to the disk format or is it restriction in the implrmentation?
(do you know where to look in the source code?).

>...but also ZFS most likely could not do any better with any other, more
>specific non-dedup solution
Properly lots of I/O traffic, digest calculation+lookups, could be saved as we
already know it will be a duplicate.
(In our case the files are gigabyte sizes)

--Per