On Tuesday 08 December 2009 14:00, Colin Raven wrote:
> Help in understanding this would be hugely helpful - anyone?

i am no pro in zfs, but to my understanding there is no original.
All the files have pointers to blocks on disk. Even if there is no ther file
that shares the same block on the disk, there is a pointer to that.
(of course if there are two or more files sharing the same block there would
be more pointers)
So on any delete action all there is needed to be done is to delete the
correct pointer. If there are no more pointers to that block, the block is
therefore free.

But this is just how i understand it. Feel free to correct me.

--
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to
understand.