fyi to everyone, the Asus P5W64 motherboard previously in my opensolaris machine
was the culprit, and not the general mpt issues.  At the time the motherboard
was
originally put in that machine, there was not enough zfs i/o load to trigger the
problem which led to the false impression the hardware was fine.  I'm using a
5400 chipset xeon board now (asus dseb-gh) and my LSI cards are working
perfectly
again; over 2 hours of heavy I/O and no errors or warnings with snv 127 (with
the
P5W64/LSI combo with build 127 it would never run more than 15 minutes without
warnings).  I chose this board partly since it has PCI-X slots and I thought
those
might be useful for AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards if I couldn't shake the mpt issues, but
now
that the mpt issues are gone I can continue with that controller if I want.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Chad