On Dec 9, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Bruno Sousa wrote:

Hi Andrey,

For instance, i talked about deduplication to my manager and he was
happy because less data = less storage, and therefore less costs .
However, now the IT group of my company needs to provide to management
board, a report of duplicated data found per share, and in our case one
share means one specific company department/division.
Bottom line, the mindset is something like :

   * one share equals to a specific department within the company
   * the department demands a X value of data storage
   * the data storage costs Y
   * making a report of the amount of data consumed by a department,
     before and after deduplication, means that data storage costs can
     be seen per department
* if theres a cost reduction due to the usage of deduplication, part
     of that money can be used for business , either IT related
     subjects or general business
   * management board wants to see numbers related to costs, and not
     things like "the racio of deduplication in SAN01 is 3x", because
     for management this is "geek talk"

I hope i was somehow clear, but i can try to explain better if needed.

Snapshots, copies, compression, deduplication, and (eventually) encryption occurs at the block level, not the file level. Hence, file-level accounting
works as long as you do not try to make a 1:1 relationship to physical
space.

But your problem, as described above, is one of managerial accounting.
IMHO, trying to apply a technical solution to a managerial accounting
problem is akin to catching a greased pig.  It is much easier to just do
what businessmen do -- manage managerial accounting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managerial_accounting
 -- richard