> We have just update a major file server to solaris 10 update 9 so that we
> can control user and group disk usage on a single filesystem.
>
> We were using qfs and one nice thing about samquota was that it told you
> your soft limit, your hard limit and your usage on disk space and on the
> number of files.
>
> Is there , on solaris 10 U9 a command which will report

A lot of folks will want a similar functionality on everything from Sol 10
up to snv_129.

I have a few experimental systems running thus :

Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11      snv_129 Dec. 01, 2009
SunOS Internal Development: root 2009-Nov-30 [onnv_129-tonic]
bfu'ed from /build/archives-nightly-osol/sparc on 2009-12-04
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11      snv_126 November 2008

$ zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 22.

All pools are formatted using this version.

When we take into consideration the effects of compression and dedupe it
can get difficult to answer the very basic question "How much space do I
have left?"

Perhaps a better question is "How much space do I have left given a worst
case scenario?"

I have pushed many copies of the exact same data into a ZFS filesystem
with both compression and dedupe and watched as the actual space used was
trivial. With a classic filesystem ( UFS ) we can generally answer the
question quickly.

One blunt object method would be to allocate a filesystem per user such
that zfs list reports a long list of names under /export/home or similar.
Then you can easily see the used space per filesystem.  Allocating user
quotas and then asking the simple questions seems mysterious to me also.

I am looking into this for my own reasons and will stay in touch.

--
Dennis Clarke
dcla...@opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris