On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 03:28:29PM +0000, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> Jens Elkner wrote:
Hi Robert,

> >just got a quote from our campus reseller, that readzilla and logzilla
> >are not available for the X4540 - hmm strange.... Anyway, wondering
> >whether it is possible/supported/would make sense to use a Sun Flash
> >Accelerator F20 PCIe Card in a X4540 instead of 2.5" SSDs?
> >
> >If so, is it possible to "partition" the F20, e.g. into 36 GB "logzilla",
> >60GB "readzilla" (also interesting for other Xnnnn servers)?
> >

> IIRC the card presents 4x LUNs so you could use each of them for
> different purpose.
> You could also use different slices.

oh. coool - IMHO this would be sufficient for our purposes (see next
posting).

> >me or not. Is this correct?
>
> It still does. The capacitor is not for flushing data to disks drives!
> The card has a small amount of DRAM memory on it which is being flushed
> to FLASH. Capacitor is to make sure it actually happens if the power is
> lost.

Yepp - found the specs. (BTW: Was probably to late to think about the
term "Flash Accelerator" having DRAM prestoserv in mind ;-)).

Thanx,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2