Hi Richard, ZFS-discuss.

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:49:18 -0800
> From: Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com>
> To: Auke Folkerts <folke...@science.uva.nl>
> Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
> Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Benchmarks results for ZFS + NFS,    using
>     SSD's as slog devices (ZIL)
>
> Some questions below...
>
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 8:27 AM, Auke Folkerts wrote:

Filling in for Auke here,

>> > The raw data as well as the graphs that I created are available on
>> > request, should people be interested.
>
> Yes, can you post somewhere?

I've put the results here, tests are run under nv129:

http://www.science.uva.nl/~jeroen/solaris11_iozone_nfs2zfs

Original measurements (with iozone headers) are in:

http://www.science.uva.nl/~jeroen/solaris11_iozone_nfs2zfs/originals/

> Questions:
>     1. Client wsize?

We usually set these to 342768 but this was tested with CenOS
defaults: 8192 (were doing this over NFSv3)
>     2. Client NFS version?

NFSv3 (earlier tests show about 15% improvement using v4, but we still
use v3 in production).

>     3. logbias settings?

Throughput for runs labeled "throughput" otherwise defaults.

>     4. Did you test with a Solaris NFS client?  If not, why not?

We didn't, because our production environment consists of Solaris
servers and Linux/MS Windows clients.

> UFS is a totally different issue, sync writes are always sync'ed.
>
> I don't work for Sun, but it would be unusual for a company to accept
> willful negligence as a policy.  Ambulance chasing lawyers love that
> kind of thing.

The Thor replaces a geriatric Enterprise system running Solaris 8 over
UFS. For these workloads it beat the pants out of our current setup
and somehow the "but you're safer now" argument doesn't go over very
well :)

We are under the impression that a setup that server NFS over UFS has
the same assurance level than a setup using "ZFS without ZIL". Is this
impression false?

If it isn't then offering a tradeoff between "same assurance level as
you are used to with better performance" or "better assurance level
but for random-IO significant performance hits" doesn't seem too wrong
to me. In the first case you still have the ZFS guarantees once data
is "on disk"...

Thanks in advance for your insights,

With kind regards,

Jeroen