On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Brad wrote:

I'm having a hard time convincing the dbas to increase the size of the SGA to 20GB because their philosophy is, no matter what eventually you'll have to hit disk to pick up data thats not stored in cache (arc or l2arc). The typical database server in our environment holds over 3TB of data.

But if the working set is 25GB, then things will be magically better. If it is 50GB or 500GB, then performance may still suck.

If the performance does not improve then we'll possibly have to change the raid layout from raidz to a raid10.

Mirror vdevs are what is definitely recommended for use with databases.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn