On 1 jan 2010, at 17.44, Richard Elling wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:
>> Flash SSDs actually always remap new writes into a
>> only-append-to-new-pages style, pretty much as ZFS does itself.
>> So for a SSD there is no big difference between ZFS and
>> filesystems as UFS, NTFS, HFS+ et al, on the flash level they
>> all work the same.
>
>> The reason is that there is no way for it to rewrite single
>> disk blocks, it can only fill up already erased pages of
>> 512K (for example). When the old blocks get mixed with unused
>> blocks (because of block rewrites, TRIM or Write Many/UNMAP),
>> it needs to compact the data by copying all active blocks from
>> those pages into previously erased pages, and there write the
>> active data compacted/continuos. (When this happens, things tend
>> to get really slow.)
>
> However, the quantity of small, overwritten pages is vastly different.
> I am not convinced that a workload that generates few overwrites
> will be penalized as much as a workload that generates a large
> number of overwrites.

Zfs is not append only in itself, there will be holes from
deleted files after a while, and space will have to be
reclaimed sooner or later.

I am not convinced that a zfs that has been in use for a while
rewrites a lot less than other file systems. But maybe you are
right, and if so, I agree that intuitively such a workload
may be better matched to a flash based device.

If you have a workload that only appends data and never changes
or deletes it, zfs is probably a bit better than other file
systems of not rewriting blocks. But that is a pretty special
use case, and another file system could rewrite almost as
little.

> I think most folks here will welcome good, empirical studies,
> but thus far the only one I've found is from STEC and their
> disks behave very well after they've been filled and subjected
> to a rewrite workload. You get what you pay for.  Additional
> pointers are always appreciated :-)
> http://www.stec-inc.com/ssd/videos/ssdvideo1.php

There certainly are big differences between the flash SSD drives
out there, I wouldn't argue about that for a second!

/ragge