On 2 jan 2010, at 12.43, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Ragnar Sundblad <ra...@csc.kth.se> wrote:
>
>> I certainly agree, but there still isn't much they can do about
>> the WORM-like properties of flash chips, were reading is pretty
>> fast, writing is not to bad, but erasing is very slow and must be
>> done in pretty large pages which also means that active data
>> probably have to be copied around before an erase.
>
> WORM devices do not allow to write a block a secdond time.

(I know, that is why I wrote WORM-like.)

> There is
> a typical 5% reserve that would allow to reassign some blocks and to make it
> appear they have been rewritten, but this is not what ZFS does.

Well, zfs kind of does, but especially typical flash SSDs do it,
they have a redirection layer so that any block can go anywhere,
so they can use the flash media in a WORM like style with
occasional bulk erases.

> Well, you are
> hoewever true that there is a slight relation as I did invent COW for a WORM
> filesystem in 1989 ;-)

Yes, there indeed are several similarities.

/ragge