See the reads on the pool with the low I/O ? I suspect reading the DDT causes
the writes to slow down.

See this bug
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6913566. It seems to
give some backgrounds.

Can you test setting the "primarycache=metadata" on the volume you test ? This
would be my initial test. My suggestion would be that it may improve the
situation because your ARC can be better utilized for DDT (this does not make
much sence for production without a SSD cache, because you practially disable
all caches for reading without a L2ARC (aka SSD)!)

As I read the bug report above - it seems the if the DDT (deduplication table)
does not fit into memory or dropped from there the DDT has to be read from disk
causing massive random I/O.